Anything from the inception of this blog is copyright to Danielle Harrison ©

Friday 9 May 2014

OUGD505 - Design Production 2: Studio Brief 2 - Medscape Illustration

I wanted to have an illustration that would go across the branding, so that I didn't just have a logo. I wanted it to be fun, and to remind people of what the mediterranean is about. I decided to do a landscape of the Mediterranean with buildings and water to visually translate Mediterranean Voyages.

Moodboard
I collected pictures of all different places in the Mediterranean so I could base my illustration on them. I decided to do a landscape of the med so that it could be applied to lots of thnigs - I've shortened it to a Medscape.



Drawing
Then I did a drawing based on the moodboards so I had a rough idea of what to make on Illustrator.

Illustrator
Then I went onto Illustrator to start making the drawing into an illustration.

I started with the first house. I took all of the colour palettes I created into this document so I could pick ones that I wanted and change them easily. I did basic shutter windows here with them all closed. I also added shadows.


I then started making the second building, and I wanted it to contrast with the first one so I made it tall and thin as well as green. I tried different windows on this building to see how it would look, and a side pattern. I also added water, which is where the boats would go.


I added a roof and shadow to it.


Then I adde the third window which is different to the other two.


I then started working on the third building which again I wanted different shaped windows so that they all look a bit different.


Here is a close up of the window for this building.


I then completed with more of the same windows as well as a different variety and a balcony.


I then started working on the fourth building. I did want to try having the shutters half closed, half open, but it didn't look right.


I finished the building, and I tried to have one closed window, but I then  changed it so they were all the same.


I then started making the next building, and I wasn't sure whether to have shutters or not.


I decided not to, I didn't feel like it needed any.


I also added a sign next to the building saying Harbour, as I want that bit to have water and be a harbour.


I then started working on the next building. I decided that this would have blinds rather than shutters.


I decided to go with lines rather than a block to match the shutters.


I made the spacing bigger and added a drawstring.


I made them all different.


 also adde an extra bit to the building. It is like a ledge with support underneath it.


Here is what it looks like so far.


I added more shadows.


Here it is with the water.


I added a drop shadow to the sign. I thought Governor was an appropriate font because it is quite quirky, but still a sans serif so it is legible.


I changed the colour of the sign to match the buildings more.


I decided I needed a couple more buildings so that I started maknig another one. I first chose to do an arched window, but looking at the drawings they are all rectangle.


I also tried  making a balcony, but that didn't look right.


I also tried lots of window panes but it didn't look right either.


I also tried rectangle windows with a ledge, but they didn't look special enough, and they have to look like they belong in the med.



In the end I used a window from the green building on the red one, and rectangle ones with a ledge on the other. I tried having the harbour sign above the red building as I really wanted the sign, but this made it too tall.


Here it is with the buildings, and the sign on the edge.


Here is the sign above the last building which I do really like, but I can't use it.


Here is the final 'medscape'.




No comments:

Post a Comment