Anything from the inception of this blog is copyright to Danielle Harrison ©

Saturday 10 May 2014

OUGD505 - Design Production 2: Studio Brief 2 - Loyalty Cards

I am going to create ice cream and drinks loyalty cards that you would use onboard the ship.

I also thought that I should get stamps made because they would be used onboard to stamp passenger's cards when they bought an ice cream/drink.

Stamp
There are two options I have to make the stamps.

I can order from English Stamp Company, and the pro's are:
  • Comes next day
  • Hassle free
  • Comes with wooden handle
  • Clear Image
Cons:
  • £12 a pop and I need two
I can also make it myself by lasercutting lino to get the perfect cut and buy a wooden handle, the pro's are:
  • Cheaper
  • I can measure it myself in person
Cons:
  • Have to find a handle
  • Got to find time to buy lino, lasercut lino and then go over it with linocutting tools

Design
So I started making the design for the cards.

I started with the drinks Icon. It needs to be simple to make a clear stamp, and it wouldn't be very detailed anyway if it was just a stamp for a loyalty card.

I added a line to show it has liquid in it, and made it a thicker line.


Here it is to size, on the stamp square. 


I also started drawing the icecream.


I made the flake more rectangular.


I tried a different cone shape.



I started with the loyalty card. I want to keep it simple but I don't want it to be boring. I was thinking it would look good with rounded corners.

As I had finished the illustration near enough, I decided to put it on the back of the card and see how it would look. I tried with and without water, as well as different sized logos.



I prefer the design here on the right - a smaller logo and with water to relate to voyage.


Here is the back of the cover, but I noticed the fourth building had a closed window and I wanted to change that.



I opened the window on the fourth building as I felt it didn't look right before. Now this is the final back of the loyalty card.


I started working on the other side. I made the squares a bit uneven to make it a bit more interesting.


I placed the two cards next to each other so I knew what the front and back looked like together.




I then changed the colour to the same blue in the logo and turned down the tint, so that you would be able to see the stamp on the square. I also added the word Free on the last square, so you know when you will get a free ice cream.


I changed the font to Open Sans, as I think I will use this across the identity.


I made the background blue and the boxes white instead which I think looks less corporate.


I added drop shadows to the boxes to make it more interesting. I think the cards are pretty plain, but I'm not sure how much more I could dress them up.


I did the same for the drinks loyalty card.



No comments:

Post a Comment