Anything from the inception of this blog is copyright to Danielle Harrison ©

Tuesday 14 January 2014

OUGD504 - Design Production: Module Evaluation

1. What skills have you learnt throughout this module and how effectively do you think you have applied them?

Design for Print
For this brief I definitely learnt a lot of new skills, and improved on ones I already had. Firstly I did some practice prints using foiling and monoprinting methods, as I hadn't done them before and wanted to become more confident in them before I included them in my project. As I then applied these methods, plus screenprinting, embossing and linoprinting I began to learn a lot more about them as I went through complications and successes.
I came across a number of problems, particularly as I used mountboard for my stock - this was hard for embossing onto as well as monoprinting onto so I had to find ways around this. I had to use MDF to emboss onto my stock which didn't leave as big of an impression as I wanted, but I learnt for next time. I also realised that monoprinting didn't work with small designs onto mountboard, although it would on a thinner stock - so I screen printed these areas instead. I think by encountering these problems I have learnt a lot about stocks, inks and the processes themselves so I am very confident to do all of these processes again in the future. 
I think I have applied these well to the project because I used all the processes that were relevant to my audience and used multiple techniques that can be used (thermochromic ink, colour blends etc) to show my understanding of it. I have used text as well as image to show my understanding throughout the project and show the viewers what can be achieved. 

Design for Web
I was really excited for this brief because I got interested in web design and coding over Summer, and I wanted to push myself on it doing things I hadn't done before. I applied the (limited) HTML and CSS skills I already had, and learnt more for the site by looking at tutorials and working out the best way to do things myself. I also applied the new skills I learnt in the web sessions such as using rollover buttons. I put in a lot of time learning more about HTML and CSS so that I could achieve the design that I wanted. In the end I had experimented with drop down menus and parallax scrolling, and included page jumps, forms, responsive full background images and made sure I used web safe fonts and colours. I was really proud at the time of the outcome, but if I did it again I would have a better idea on how to make it more professionally and do things differently regarding containers and other areas I have since practiced on but couldn't do at the time. I have already learnt so much since this website that I feel it could be improved drastically in the way I have coded, but I did learn a lot of new things for the project so I am happy with it.

Design for Print and Web
For this project I concentrated on print as it was more appropriate for my project, but I also wanted to explore web as I was itching to code again.
For the print side, I wanted the project to be closely linked to the concept that it is a library cafe. Because of this, I decided to use buckram throughout the project on menu boards, placemats etc. I had already bound hardcover books before in the first year, so I already knew how to do it but I had a practice go anyway. I forgot how simple it was, so that was an easy part of the project, and I then screenprinted on top of this. I knew it wouldn't take me long to screenprint as I have already done a lot of it this year and feel confident with it. However, I didn't anticipate that it would look dull against the black buckram - to overcome this I just reprinted over the dried printed area to add another layer. This then worked, and because I am confident with screen printing it didn't take long to reprint it all. I think this shows I have applied my skills well because I have become a lot more efficient with screen printing and didn't see it as a challenge. I was also working within a tight schedule, so it wasn't a problem for that either.
I designed the screen aspect for it after the Numiko talk, and remembered how they had created the responsive Design Council website. Remembering what they said, I designed the website, tablet and mobile aspect with their words in mind. For example, on the mobile version on the Book page I only showed three bookcovers as opposed to five bookcovers on the website and tablet form. Instead of resizing the site to the screen size, I adapted them instead which I think shows a greater understanding of designing for the web.
When I was coding the website, it only took me 6 hours to do as it is a very simple site, using page jumps which I used in the Design for Web project. I really enjoy coding and I think that this shows how I can apply my skills efficiently to a project.
I also learnt how to make a gif for this project, as I feel that is a good way to present a website. This required using Photoshop which I'm not very good at, but after a few attempts I got there in the end and I can now use this method when designing for web in the future.

2. What approaches to/methods of design production have you developed and how have they informed your design development process?

I think my design production methods have developed from the fact that I have worked and learnt better by physically doing things. Rather than reading about how to foil, I just went out and did it. This is the same for all of the techniques I used really, and just learnt from my mistakes as I went. Luckily I started the production for Design for Print early on, so I had a lot of time to mess it up and try different things. From mixing colours so they overlapped correctly, to trying different methods of using thermochromic ink, I don't think I could have learnt all of this by reading from a book or watching a video, I just had to do it for myself. 
For the coding aspect of it, I experimented a lot and tried everything I could to make something work. I would start by looking at a tutorial and then just coded relentlessly and seeing how something worked best, mainly by using the Inspect Element feature on Chrome. I think this has helped me realise how I worked best, because I feel a lot more confident now with coding and printmaking. 

3. What strengths can you identify in your work and how have/will you capitalise on these?

I think an apparent strength within my work is coding. I enjoy doing it, and I don't mind spending hours trying to figure out why something isn't working which I think is important to coding as you definitely need patience! I have already capitalized on this by producing a live website and helping a lot of people in the class on their websites. By also coding the website for Print and Web even though I focused on the printed material shows that I am interested in it. To improve my skills further I am going to two web design events at the end of the month and hope to gain contacts from that, as well as putting myself out there to do websites for clients.

4. What weaknesses can you identify in your work and how will you address these for the future?

I think the biggest weakness in my work is the fact that I don't do enough drawings and ideas at the beginning stages. I explore one idea a lot, but if I like it I won't bother exploring more ideas in depth because I like to just get on with it. I don't know if this is a bad thing or not - probably is if I want to get a good grade, but when I'm working to a tight deadline it's not necessarily a bad thing. I realised this by Design for Print and Web and I did a couple more ideas at the beginning and started to research them, but not really in depth, so this is something I could improve on. 
I also think the quality of finish could be improved - I think this will just come from making more things and practicing more. For example, when I reprinted over the top of the existing screenprinted area for Print and Web, some of it isn't registered 100% which affects the quality. Also for Design for Print the finish of the work could be improved - for example the font I used bled a little because of the stock I chose, and it was hard to get the illustrations completely in centered and in line on the posters. This will just come with practice but is something I need to keep an eye on. 

5. Identify the things you will do differently next time and what you expect to gain from doing these?

  1. Explore more ideas initially - I might think of a better one.
  2. I do want to draw more as well - using hand drawn type and illustration rather than the clean, digital style I have at the moment. I think it's good to have a broad range of skills as not every project will require the same style.
  3. Try and have a better finish to my work so it looks more professional.
  4. Consider the limitations of the stock I choose and whether techniques will work on them properly as this can save me a lot of time and make the resolution look better.

No comments:

Post a Comment