Anything from the inception of this blog is copyright to Danielle Harrison ©

Wednesday 22 January 2014

OUGD503 - Responsive: Futre of Bacon Packaging - Evaluation and Questions

In preparation for tomorrow's Responsive session, I have completed an evaluation of this project and written some questions that I would like feedback on.

Evaluation

The brief I chose was to design a premium bacon packaging for Danepak which asks the designer to change the way it is sold on the shelf and to improve on the current conventions. I actually found this project really hard, as when I was researching I realised that the current shape of it is really practical and I had a lot of limitations in terms of how I could produce the packaging. I tried thinking of so many ways that I could keep waste to a minimum, while improving the usability and aesthetics of the product.
The brief asked me to consider how to keep the product fresh for longer. I did a lot of research into this, as previously I didn’t know anything about the different materials used in food packaging, particularly meat. I realised something that is becoming more used is vacuum skin packaging, which gives red meat a maximum shelf life, so this is the most appropriate form of packaging I could use. Putting this into practice, I didn’t have the facilities to actually create this, so instead I have used a vacuum sealer to create a plastic bag for the bacon and literally sucked the air out using a plastic tube and quickly sealing the bag up again. Although this doesn’t look as good as it would if it was done professionally, the brief states I can use any materials that would be suitable if I don’t have the means to produce what I want to do.
In terms of aesthetics, I didn’t want to include photography or a sticker label as this is used on the current packaging. I wanted it to be clean and minimal to portray a premium brand, and by using only the necessary information to keep things easy for customers to read. So I used different typography to signify the different aspects of the product, such as the cut and how many rashers there are. I also used an illustration of a pig to make it clear to the audience what the product is – in hindsight I could have used a butcher’s pig chart illustration, as Danepak sell a range of pork products and this could have been used throughout the range to signify the variety.
The packaging itself covers the vacuum skinned bacon for two reasons – one so that it doesn’t get damaged and two for aesthetic reasons so that it will stand out on the shelf and encourage consumers to buy it. I put a window in the packaging because people like to see the fat and colour of the bacon, and this will allow them to do so.

Overall, I think the project went okay. I’m not very happy with the design and don’t think it is very innovative. However, I have spent a lot of time researching different materials and existing products and there has to come a time where I had to stop working on it as I have other priorities, and this is the best outcome I could produce. I think if I studied product design and had a lot more knowledge about different materials and the access to produce a highly finished product I could have a better resolution. However, I don’t, and this has just taught me to pick briefs more wisely next time and think early on about the limitations I will face.

Questions
  1. 1.       Do you think this pillow box format works well? Or would a flat rectangle net be better?
  2. 2.       Do you think it looks like a premium brand? If not, why?
  3. 3.       Do you think I should use a bag which has a clear seal, or does it not matter that it is red/blue?
  4. 4.       Do you think the back of the packaging looks realistic?
  5. 5.       Is there any way you think I could improve the ‘bacon’?

No comments:

Post a Comment