Anything from the inception of this blog is copyright to Danielle Harrison ©

Saturday 22 March 2014

OUGD503 - Responsive: BEAR - Developmental

Now we have our content, layout ideas and feedback from this morning's progress crit, we decided to take things digital. Throughout the developmental process, we shared a folder on Dropbox together, so we could both keep saving and switching with each. Rather than work on boxes separately, we very much worked together continuously on them.


T is for Treetops

We decided what we wanted to do and cracked on, on Illustrator. I started doing 'T for Treetops'.

I started doing some boxes which will be the background for the letter. I tried to make it close to 6cmx6cm as that was the dimension on the drawing.


I then started adding secondary boxes for 'is for treetops'.


I chose the font Horsehoes and Lemonade as it's quite playful, good for a header and readable.


I then started making the shape of the tree, and added a brush to the outline.


I've always wanted to add grain textures rather than a gradient, so I played around with that too.


I used it here on the green boxes for a subtle grain.


I also added it to the background box. It does look barely noticeable so I might make it bolder.


I then started drawing lines on for the pattern on the bark using brushes.


I started doing bigger ones, and have smaller lines on them.


I started building up the layers.


I want to make sure the bar has all horizontal layers, whereas the stem should have all vertical layers.


When I eventually covered it all, I realised it looks awful. It looks too overcomplicated and unrealistic and I hate it.


So I started to strip it back down and start again. I added a drop shadow to the planks so they had more depth to it.


I stripped it back even more, which I was more happy with. I continued this on the top plank.


I then made a nail to go on the planks, using a circle, semi circle and drop shadow to keep it simple.

Final T is for Treetops
Here is the final sign for T is for Treetops. I think it looks effective with the subtle grain effect and 


I also changed the arrangement of the arrows so the vertical plank has two at the bottom,


C is for Camping
I then started doing the lettering for C is for Camping. I wanted it to look like a warning sign which you would see on certified campsites/nature trails.

I started by making a triangle and added rounded corners to it to achieve a softer look. I also  created a brown line to go inside it as a border, and added a brush to this. I chose a mustard yellow because it fits a road sign and the shade mimics the style we want to achieve.


I then started drawing C's - I wanted it to be a bold and simple sans serif to reflect a road sign, but also fun to target kids.

This was too ordinary.


I tried adding an arrow but it started to look like the recycling logo.


Then I drew this to look a bit more rough which was better. I also added a brown pole, so it was more like a sign, and added the 'is for camping' on separate posts. I did it in a darker yellow so it matched the treetops sign which is two different shades of green.


I also tried a more angled C, but preffered the previous.


I then had an idea to make the writing into arrows, as though it is a wayfinding post that you would find on a nature trail or something. This is more appropriate on the sign.


I chose a darker yellow for the writing underneath.


I put them next to each other so that I could compare the sizing and make sure that the proportions were right. I am happy with this sign, and now I can move onto the next thing!


M is for Mountains

We were going to do a Mountains page, so I started creating one for it, but then abandoned it as we wasn't 100% sure we was still going to do it.


Map
We also thought about having a map on the Camping scene as a little point of interest, and it could be cool to fold it once you cut it out.

I started doing the shape of the map with folds.



Then I thought I would do it without folds to put the design on, and skew it later so I didn't have to worry about perspective.


I started drawing some clean tree shapes.


Then I added brush strokes to them.


Then I thought about mixing brush stokes and clean trees.


Here is the final map design. In the end it didn't make the cut because we had a lot of content on it already. I used the campsite symbol for the tents.


Canoe
Then I started making the canoe for the Rivers scene. I did it in two different positions, but decided on its side would be better to fit on the scene and to play with.



I started with the basic shape.


Then I added the seats on it. I made them wonky to suit the style we wanted. I also added lines on the side to replicate the planks of wood.


I then started to alter the shape to make it more stylised.


I then added paddles to go with it.



I then started a rough idea of how it would look on the back of the box.




Camping Text Boxes
I was in charge of doing the text boxes for the Camping box, and getting the bodycopy for the facts. The facts needed to relate to the illustrations on the box.

Here is one for the Deer - I kept it in context with the cereal boxes by saying how high 10ft is, as they may not know this. 

At first I made a box and did it black so the text would stand out, but is was very boring, esp for a kids cereal box.


So then I used the colours from the Camping sign. It still didn't stand out though.


Made the box smaller around the text.


Made the title separate from the bodycopy, which made it more interesting, and also changed the title to reflect the text.


Here it started to take shape with three text boxes on it.


I then started to add the instructions for the box.


I wanted them to be short and sweet, but get the message across clearly. At first I used colours from the rocks at the front but it wasn't looking good.




I also made a slot for the animals to stand up on.


Here are more of the text boxes from this box.




Sarah made this fact, but I altered the position of the title and text, because the first word was on one line which wasn't very readable.




This is better because each line is full.



Sides of Box
I then started making content for the sides of the box. I used all the content that is on the existing boxes.


We decided the slots was going to go on the side of the box because there wasn't enough room on the back and it looked messy. Sarah made some fireflies for the box, so I used these on the sides to help fill space.


I started making the contact details box.


We also discussed changing the front of the box to our style, so I started it.





However, I decided to abandon this because of the background colour and not having the cereal - how would the front colour match the rest of the box?  We're not required to do it, so why do it if we are struggling? And not having the cereal typeface meant we couldn't recreate the front fully anyway, as we didn't want to change it - just make it in our style.


Treetops

Stump
Then I started working on components for the Treetops scene, and started making a tree stump. Again, I wanted it to match Sarah's illustrations and be stylised. To do this, I made the stump a sharp shape, and used the width tool on the rings.


I also added a pattern to the bark, using the width tool.


I then adde more patterns into these to add character.


To make it more interesting, I started drawing mushrooms to go around it.


Final
It looks more colourful now, which will appeal to kids.



Treetops Instructions

I needed to make instructions for the Treetops scene, which was going to be a wooden sign.
I used a brush to get the rough edges I wanted.




At first I was going to use two separate planks, one for the heading and one for the content, but then I thought this would take too much space.




I added a drop shadow and nails to make it pop more.


Then I added the instructions. I also created a stroke underneath the title to separate the text. I put it next to the stump to get the proportions right.



I created an outline round the stump which indicates where to cut out.


Final
I then added more strokes on the stalk to be like the stump.


Owl
Then I started making the owl. I tried to make the eyes similar to the deers to that I mimicked Sarah's style.

I started on the face designing the eyes and surrounding area.







I gave it a beard, head, body and wings.


I added horns because the fact to go with it is about the Great Horned Owl. I also added little strokes on its body for more interest, and claws for its feet.


Acorn

As we are having a squirrel on this page, I decided to design an acorn for it.

I added a crossed pattern to the top of it.


I noticed acorns have a little point at the bottom of them,  so I added one.



Squirrel

Again I wanted to mimic Sarah's style, so started with the eyes and head.


I altered the ears.


I began to create the tail, making it bushy.


I also began adding stuff to each area, likes body and face.


This looks too hunchback and doesn't have any feet.


I tried to make it  more upright but it still looked weird.


I then realised the tail doesn't match Sarah's drawings, and did this instead which looks a lot better and more fitting.


I recycled the feet on Sarah's rabbit and used them here, and added a grain to the acorn.


Again, the body is too hunchback. But I adde more detail to the ears and white fur on the body to make it more like Sarah's drawings.


Now the body isn't touching the tail it looks better.


I moved the feet a little bit so it looks more together.



I altered the body shape a bit to make it more in sync, and I am happier with it.


I made the head bigger.


I then made the head the same colour as the body which looked better.


It was going to be a red squirrel so was made red.


A grain was also added and the outline to be cut around.


Salmon

I then started making salmon for the Rivers scene.







I made two different ones so they have company.




I also tried it with a stick through it, so the stick could be folded and it would stand up, but this seemed a bit brutal.



Sides of Treetop

I then started working on the sides of the Treetop scene. I added the slots on the side.



I added the contact details.


I then started doing the nutritional information using the existing information on the box.


Here is what it was starting to look like. I also put the logo on the other side of the box.


Here are the outlines...


I also added this on the bottom of one of the sides to fill the space and use as much of the existing information as I could.


I thought about using the brown colour we've used as an accent throughout as a sub heading so it is clearer, while still keeping our style with the shape.


Here is the finished side of the Treetops box. Although it is colourful and in our style, I have used margins and gutters to keep it organised and included important information to appeal to parents.


Here is the logo on the side.


I added a box around it so it stands out more.


Here is the finished Treetops scene.


Or so I thought.. I added the top of the box and tabs.



This is my favourite box.


Outlines

I added the outlines around these to be cut out.



Camping Sides

Then I started doing the same sides and tops of the box on Camping to make it the same as Treetops, and have it finished! I extended the trees to the top and sides.


We didn't know what to put on the left hand side of the box, because the Treetops scene has a giant tree there. Then Sarah had an idea of having a blank rabbit the kid can draw in, so I handed it back over to here. I also made sure the Instructions were clear and skewed right. I filled in all the sides with the content.


Rivers

I moved the canoe to the top right of the box, and added all the content onto the sides and the text boxes on the front.


I adde the outline around the bear.


And made the slots for the scene.


I thought about having the differences between canoe and kayak for the canoe fact because I liked this heading, but I couldn't find an interesting/short one.


Here is the final Rivers box, and all of the text that I added.




No comments:

Post a Comment