Anything from the inception of this blog is copyright to Danielle Harrison ©

Monday 24 March 2014

OUGD503 - Responsive: Uber Crit

This week we had an Uber crit on all the responsive brief's we have done so far.
I created boards for the occasion:


I only included a final image for each project, with a small explanation of the brief and my solution so people got the gist of it. I didn't include any developmental work as I just wanted impact boards, but I could have done better mock ups.

Here is my individual feedback:

Presentation

Strengths

  • Works as a set
  • Final products are impactful on every page
  • Overall consistency and aesthetic style
  • Really like how the images and type are balanced on the design boards
Suggestions
  • Improve quality of photographs - bacon packaging
  • The brief could be placed on boards to add clarity
  • Companions - what was brief?
  • Shorten the headers
  • Make the text on the boards smaller
  • Could use some more exciting structures on the boards
Project Management

Strengths
  • Well managed with a wide variety of print and web based briefs. Ideas and concepts showcased well on all design boards.
  • 'Coming Soon' shows project management and time keeping skills
  • Final outcomes visible on your boards. Typeface created for some briefs which shows design skill and development
Suggestions
  • More than one board for each brief showing products, range and distribution, as well as giving more in depth and information on each briefs board
  • Unable to see progression on blog
Has Brief Been Answered?

Strengths
  • All briefs feature a different concept, resolution and design styles
  • What and Why have been answered continuously
  • Companion - simple iconic symbols/images which represent animals
  • You've answered your briefs constructively, effectively and professionally
  • Danepak - very professional, I would purchase. Colours remind me of bacon. The pigs make a nice touch too
Suggestions
  • Companions - show how the logo will look on the shops along with branded merch

Additional Comments
  • Good variety of final outcomes, print, digital, web - shows strong and varied skill set
  • Really love the concept for the Dialogue brief
  • Crafting of packaging is well finished
  • Digital execution is really good
  • Mock up of pet shop logo could be added for further depth 

Feedback
I was really happy with the feedback - all the suggestions made were valid, and after looking at other peoples boards along with feedback I know I definitely need to start making mock ups when I produce designs. It looks more professional, and gives people context. I think it would be better to show product, range and distribution too. I think this session was really constructive for my individual feedback, and I know what to improve next time. But I also appreciated the positive feedback on consistency of boards, variety of briefs and my concept for Dialogue.
When I was making the boards for this session, the one I didn't change was Companions - this was an existing one that I gave to the client, and this is the only board which people have mentioned doesn't mention the brief. I'm happy that they picked this up, and it is the only one they felt didn't explain everything.

Collaborative Feedback
I was a bit apprehensive about this, because we only had one board, and hadn't included all the design, and the mock ups we had were of poor quality. I didn't really think to go further with these beforehand - and the next day they were all completely finished so would have been nice to get feedback on all of them. 

Anyway, this was the feedback we got which was all positive:

  • Illustrations are really appropriate and well executed
  • Illustrations are strong
  • Concept is great - really interactive for kids + informative too
  • A few print issues are clear
  • The illustrations are fantastic!
  • Really aesthetically appropriate and well executed
  • I really like the Treetops Box, very warm, strong colours
  • Illustrations suit target audience
  • Seems that you've got all the elements you need to cut out
  • Very thoughtout
  • Lots of facts for children
  • Incredibly child appropriate, I hope this goes down a storm with you
  • Interactive and wonderfully engaging
  • Gimme
  • Check typesetting
  • The illustrations are fantastic!
  • Really strong powerful images, very fun, very playful

The only suggestions made we already realised before the crit - about type.
So overall we were obviously very happy about the feedback - I am just kicking myself in the teeth for not having more physical things to show really. I'm really glad people think it is appropriate for the brief, and we have worked very hard to make sure it answers the brief as much as we can, so it has paid off to get this feedback. 

No comments:

Post a Comment