Anything from the inception of this blog is copyright to Danielle Harrison ©

Saturday 22 March 2014

OUGD505 - Design Production: Cruise Publication - Final Crit

We had a final crit on the cruise publication today, and presented to our peers before getting detailed feedback.


I had my book printed, but I realise I need to have it reprinted as the text is too big.

Feedback

Strengths

  • Size of publication and binding method
  • The scale of the publication is effective and appropriate to the context/content
  • The images are vibrant, eye-catching this effectively encourages people to cruise
Considerations
  • Images used, pixelated - stock used +1
  • When binding consider how close some of the numbering of pictures are to crease +1
  • Packaging..
  • To avoid images being affected when folding your publication maybe add a small gutter so the images aren't touching the center of the page fold? +1
  • Number of placement on pictures, personally I'd keep it more consistent
  • Separation lines could be made lighter weight
  • I think you should mock both saddle and perfect bound examples and then see which is most successful. I also think you should experiment with a sans serif body copy font.
Areas for Improvement
  • Could experiment with using a gloss finish stock to resemble holiday brochures? Images tend to sit more vibrantly on the page with a gloss/satin stock. This would be more appropriate for your images.
  • I think the type face used for the body copy doesn't really work, a sans serif to suit the headers.
  • Spelling errors!

Overall I am happy with the feedback, and people have made some good points. Even though I had proof read, and got somebody else to, there was still spelling errors!! Glaringly obvious ones too, so I'm glad people actually read it. The only thing I would say is that someone has suggested using a glossy stock to resemble holiday brochures - actually the pages are really thin, cheap uncoated stock, and the covers are laminated, which is what I'm going to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment