Anything from the inception of this blog is copyright to Danielle Harrison ©

Thursday 31 October 2013

OUGD504 - Design for Print: Logo

As I am working across three different formats, I wanted to have a logo so that there was a sense of continuity across the range.

I thought about having the logo in the style of a passport stamp since my project is called a Journey Through Print. It needs to be simple as I want it to work through a variety of processes such as embossing and foiling, on a small scale. If it is too intricate or I use serif fonts it probably won't work as well as a minimal, sans serif style due to the nature of the processes.






Here is some rough sketches of what I want the logo to be like:



Here is the development of the logo:

I wanted to logo to look like a passport stamp, and be very simple because it would need to work on a small scale through a range of formats such as embossing and foiling.

I liked this shape a lot, but I felt that there is too much white space around.


So I then changed the shape so that there was no white space surrounding the words.


I then added a bit of a border to make it more interesting.



I also tried a drop shadow but realised this wouldn't work when embossing etc.


I wanted to try a circle as I thought the previous was a bit boring. However, I tried a few variations of this kind of style, and it just wasn't working, probably due to condensed typeface and length of words.




I then tried this warped version, and thought it was a lot better as it fills the space and is readable.


I then added two circles to fill more of the space, and resemble a passport stamp more. This is the final logo, and I am happy with it because it is simple enough to do the processes in, easy to read and I like how it looks.



No comments:

Post a Comment