Anything from the inception of this blog is copyright to Danielle Harrison ©

Thursday 24 October 2013

OUGD503 - Responsive: Picking A Brief

Today we bought in five live or competition briefs in that we want to do. 

We came up with reasons why we've chosen the briefs:

  • Logo design - something that i've not done before
  • Logo design is something people always want, so I want to be skilled at it
  • Variety of content - sign business, honey products, cosmetics - I wanted to design for a lot of things to see what I enjyo and how versatile I can be
  • Packaging - I enjoy designing for packaging but I hate making it so this way I get to do the part I enjoy with ready templates
  • Content - one brief is for London and I find it very broad and interesting as it's very open for interpretation
  • Bookcovers - I'm very interested in editorial and publishing so this would be a good medium to design for
  • Bookcover - only made hardcover buckham covers so will be nice change to be able to do a full design on a cover
  • I didn't realise how much money clients pay for a bookcover, which I think is easier than doing a logo which you get paid less for, so seems like easy money!
  • Realistic deadlines to industry
  • Target audience
We also came up with things we want to get out of the module:
  • Be able to communicate with clients about brief - suggest how to make it better, get more info etc
  • Not be afraid to ask for money rather than just doing it for free cause they're my mate
  • See what areas of design I'm suited for
  • Being able to churn out a good idea quickly
  • Work for a variety of topics which are everyday subjects - travel, food, estate agents etc
  • Be able to do logo design as I haven't done it before
  • Get better at illustration
  • Become confident at showing clients designs and getting feedback
  • Being able to justify design decisions to client in appropriate way if they don't like it or want something changing
  • I want to do web design but don't know if I need to code, so I want to find out more about that
  • I want to win competitions
  • Be more prepared for industry
  • Industry contacts
  • Make online portfolio look better
We then got a brief that YCN gave out last year, and it was for Churchill. We answered a lot of questions about it. 

What's the problem?
The problem is that children don't know who Winston Churchill is, and recognise the dog more. 

What is the brief asking you to do?
It's asking the designer to find a way to make the audience more familiar with Winston Churchill, educating children on our British Heritage.

What's the brief trying to achieve?
They want to re ask the survey and this time round the results change so that Winston is the more popular Churchill.

Who will benefit?
The 11-18 year olds will be more educated, and be more patriotic to the country.

We then answered some more questions we should ask ourselves when looking at a brief:

What's the message to communicate?
Put Churchill in his rightful place of the most famous Churchill

Audience:
11-18 yr olds in the UK

How will it be delivered?
Idea can take any format
Potential to work across manner of channels

Can you forsee a problem with this?
Might do format they don't like
Might be a lot of work if its lots of format
Might be too costly for them to do

We then discussed as a class more about the forseeable problems:
  • What's the point of the message?
  • 11-18 yr olds can't legally get insurance so audience is pointless
  • Format is too vague, want all the ideas you've got

We now need to pick one brief for next session that is:
  • Detailed
  • Annotated
  • Answer 12 questions about it
  • Thumbnails
  • What are the benefits to me



No comments:

Post a Comment