Anything from the inception of this blog is copyright to Danielle Harrison ©

Sunday 13 April 2014

OUGD503 - Responsive: Project Report Designing

Once I had written all of my content, I went to InDesign to start design the report. Here is my development.

Companions Pet Shop
I started with Companions Pet Shop. At first I thought it could be good to use Drop Caps as I've never used them before and it would fit in with the lengthy amount of text that I had.


I put in a coloured rectangle first of where the logo would go. I liked the idea of having a heading, subheading and text as though it was a newspaper or magazine layout.
I was really struggling to make use of the space as I didn't want paragraphs starting at the bottom of the page. 
I decided to have little headings for each section so that the reader knows what part it is - as it is long they could get bored with no line breaks.
I made all text justified left and with no hyphens.



I tried adding a line between the heading and subheading.


I then bought the logo in to see how it all worked.


I thought maybe adding the two other logo versions I gave to the client to fill space.



I thought about adding a border around the logo so it's more structured.


I tried adding more drop caps, and big quotes in the middle to fill more space. I also tried three column grid.


I tried left aligned title and subheading.





I made the logo fit across three columns. This was making more of an improvement now, I thought. Filling a lot more space, but I couldn't make the third column work.


I do like this layout and I could have added more text on the fourth column to make it even.


I tried having a lot of space on the top right page.




I stayed with this layout in the end because the columns are near enough even.

Then I changed my mind.
I went back to the previous layout I was trying and added more content to make it work.


Matthew Savage Photography
I then started on this project, as I liked the mockup images I had used.
I tried using three columns first.




I had a lot of content for this project, but three columns wasn't quite filling the space.




This worked perfectly, but then I thought I wanted to add more photos to show different pages so where would they go.


I tried adding them in.


I tried adding the four images I had with the content over four pages.


This didn't look bad, but I wasn't happy with it still.


I then tried having a feature page firstly.


And the rest of the content on the next dps. But this still means I can't include two images.



Then I thought about having a full width image that would show how you scroll through albums.


So I created this on InDesign and implemented it. I like this layout, it doesn't look strange having some white space.


So here are the three dps's for this project.
First a feature page.


Then two images and some content.
I like this layout, it isn't completely filled so gives a bit of space to breathe.


Then the third page with the rest of the content and the long image.


Yoke
Then I started on Yoke. I had a few images to go on this project - the three posters I designed and photographs of the exhibition with my work.


I tried the layout like this first, but it only had my posters designs on. I liked the layout though. So I decided to spread these designs over four pages, and have two pages with full photographs of the exhibition on.


Here are the final Yoke Pages



Keith Baldock Artist



I took a screenshot of one of the pages in the actual browser.


Here is the final layout which I think works well.



Sophie Davey Photography
I then began this project. I had some photographs I wanted to use rather than digital designs so you can see how they look printed. 
I tried to keep the layout simple just using one large image and two columns.



I then enlarged the image to fit over three columns, as I didn't need that much space for the text..


I also got one of the clients picture where she has used my watermark to show that as well. I like this layout because it has a good balance of text to imagery.


Air Up
I then began the next project. I made a mockup of the album artwork first to show in the report, as it looks more professional.



This is the layout I used, and I did it pretty quickly. I like this as although there is a lot of text, there is still some white space so it isn't overcrowded.
I think its important to have some pages which aren't completely full as I do have a few of them and it needs to be balanced.


I just added a bit more content so that it reached the bottom margin.


BEAR
I had quite a lot of content for BEAR, plus a wide range of photos to choose to include.





I just didn't like how I had cropped the top image, although it did mean the space on the right page was nicely filled.


Here are the final spreads.
I made the image with all the cut out pieces full again and used on the left page. I think this is a lot more balanced.
I also had a feature page for this so you can see the whole set.



P.A. Kelsall
I then started on this project, and I needed to have a couple of dps's because I wanted to show all of the pages I designed for the site.

I started by playing with different widths for the text.

I then tried the image on the bottom.

I moved it back to the top and chose two widths for the text.



On the right page I only included one column of text, because I only had three left and needed the other two for the next dps.


I moved the text column to the left side which looks better.


On the next dps, I used the two other paragraphs and included the rest of the images.


I started sorting out the placement of everything making sure it fit in the grid.


I extended the bottom left image to the edges of the pages.


Future of Bacon Packaging
I had quite a few pictures I could choose for this as well. The Solution paragraph was really big, so I wanted that to have a four column width because I didn't want to break it up over two separate columns.




This is the final spread. I'm quite happy with it, there is a clear balance of text and image.


Front Cover
I then started doing some designs for the front cover, based on what I had drawn.


I liked having uneven boxes to show what is included inside, but didn't feel like it reflected the rest of the book.


So I tried even straight rectangles instead. I also added a number next to each block to show what page each one is - the front cover also acts as the contents page. 
The blocks represent books - as each report is quite long for the projects so ties in with that.


I then started playing around with how I could present the title.





This is what I chose in the end - a bit of balance between the black boxes and no background.



No comments:

Post a Comment