Anything from the inception of this blog is copyright to Danielle Harrison ©

Wednesday 27 November 2013

OUGD504 - Design for Print: Making the Tickets

Digital Print
To make the tickets, I started of by digitally printing them. I tried two different variations - one where I would add a process to borders and the logo, and one where I would just add the logo on.





I then cut them using a guillotine, so that they would be very straight. This type of guillotine is very good for cutting thick stock too, which I needed.




Lasercutting
I need to lasercut part of the ticket so that I can add the processes on through them.
This is what I need to lasercut for the monoprint, linoprint and embossing tickets. I also exposed this on a fabric and paper screen for the screenprinting and foiling.

The first version would mean the process would be added to borders as well as the logo. The second version would mean just the logo would be added in the process, which is a more subtle effect.

Lino
To lasercut the lino, the black area is what will be burnt out. I had to make most of the design black so that the majority would be burnt out. This is what it looks like:



Before I transfer the Illustrator file to Ethos, I need to export it as a JPEG, turn up the quality and change the colour model to Grayscale.


In Ethos, I highlighted everything and changed the engraving settings to this, and sent it to print.



Here is what it looked like when I rastered it:




After doing the lino icon, I realised that when you lasercut lino, the rastered area isn't very indented meaning it picks up a lot of ink still, which isn't what I want on the ticket as you need to be able to read the text. Therefore, I got my lino cutting tools and went over where it had already been rastered.


Embossing
I created the stencil for the embossing ticket through lasercutting. I did it onto MDF so that it would be thick enough to go through the mountboard. I did three variations as it didn't take long to cut, and I thought this way I could experiment to see what looked best.



I did a couple of practise runs to see what it would look like, and the pressure I should pump the press to. As I have done the embossed icons now, I was more confident with the press and did it very quickly.
I put a piece of tissue paper between the MDF and the stock so that it wouldn't get dirty, and pumped it to just over 4000psi.



I then tried it straight away on the real ticket which I think came out really well. To make sure I got it in the right place, I secured the MDF to the press with a bit of masking tape, and then secured the stock on top of that with a bit of masking tape too so that it wouldn't move in the press.


Foiling
I did these tickets the same time I made the posters for foiling. I bought some black foil, and screenprinted the tickets with glue.
When I added the foil and put it through the heat press, it didn't seem to work as well as other coloured foils I tried. I'm not sure why this is, as I waited for the foil to cool down before I took it off, and it happened on others I tried as well.



This is what the foil looks like when you peel it off the stock, and the foiled area is transparent.


I was able to get one ticket that worked well, and I feel like having just the logo in the process is better because it is more subtle and less overpowering.



Here are the tickets that I tried, with two working well and the other three not so much.


This is disappointing, but I think it is the foil because I tried other colours on the same day with the same designs and they worked out fine. At least I managed to get a couple that looked okay, as that's all I needed.

Screenprinting

This was very easy to do because I knew that the outcome would be very smooth and there would be no issues.

I did a few practice runs at first, and I did notice that the text was quite blurry and not very focussed.




However, after a few more runs that went away and I was confident to print onto the ticket.



Here is the ticket.




Monoprint
For the monoprint ticket I decided that it would be best to screenprint the logo instead, because when I tried to monoprint the logo on the icon it didn't work at all due to the stock choice. So I followed the same process as the screenprinting ticket and here is the result:

Linoprint

I got the lino cut that I had made and rolled black ink onto it.

I then put it through the press, and this is the result I got. However, I didn't like how the whole ticket was covered in the print, even though that is an effect of lino printing.



So I cut the lino so that I only had the logo, and threw the rest of it away. I did a few test prints of this to see how it looked:


Once I got the right imprint, I did it onto some more tickets I printed of:


I am much happier with this result because it is a lot cleaner, but still shows the effect of linoprinting.


No comments:

Post a Comment