Anything from the inception of this blog is copyright to Danielle Harrison ©

Wednesday 6 November 2013

OUGD503 - Responsive: Picking a Substantial Brief

We had to find a substantial brief to do after we looked at what makes a good brief last session.

I looked at Starpack, and picked a brief on The Future of Bacon Packaging. I picked it because it is thorough and has a lot of detailed information on what is wanted.






Why have you chosen the brief?
I chose this because I am interested in packaging, and I want to do a project which involves that. I am also particularly interested in food packaging so this is the perfect opportunity to create something. I haven't designed much food packaging before so this is a good place to start, and I think it will be fun to research into existing food packaging, materials and the easiest way for people to use it.

What do you want to get out of the brief?
I think this will be a challenge as previously I have found creating packaging and prototypes quite hard, so I want to improve on this skill. I also want it to be a fun brief as I am interested in designing for food.

What do you want to do/make/propose in response to the brief?
I want to make a mockup of the packaging as that is one of the mandatory requirements. I want to create a packaging that makes it easier for the consumer to use and keep storaged for longer. 

What do you need to do/make/propose?
The brief says that you need to make a good quality model that withstands transportation and handling and 3xA3 presentation boards which showcase initial ideas through to the final product.

What's the problem?
The current packaging needs to be improved to make Danepak stand out, keep the product fresh for longer and challenge conventions.

What is the brief asking you to do?
The brief is asking to design a chilled premium bacon packaging format that revolutionises the way bacon is currently sold on the shelf and improve it. It is also asking to consider how to extend the range into other products. It also asks to consider environmental issues.

What is the brief trying to achieve?
The brief is trying to achieve a product that will have a noticeable shelf presence that consumers will notice, a product that will stay fresh for longer and a premium tone of voice.

Who will benefit?
Danepak will benefit as they will get a new packaging for their product, consumers will benefit as the product will stay fresh for longer and the environment will benefit as it will consider how to keep waste impact down.

What is the message?
The message they want to put across is that the meat will stay fresh for longer, will have shelf presence and consider the environment. 

Who is the audience?
The audience will be for 
  • meat eaters
  • people who go food shopping - people living on their own, 18+, families etc
  • middle-upper class as its a premium bacon range
  • people who care about the impact on the environment
  • people who pick products based on how the packaging looks - not cheap etc


How will the message be delivered?
Through packaging. I will need to research and consider the most appropriate format and materials for this.

Can you forsee a problem with this?
Yes, the materials I will need to use. Because I don't know a lot about food packaging I will need to research into this, and because plastic etc is usually used, I don't know how to print on this professionally and will have to consider how to do this. Also, if I want to use a different material I might not be able to obtain it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment