Anything from the inception of this blog is copyright to Danielle Harrison ©

Wednesday 11 December 2013

OUGD504 - Design for Web: Final Crit

I had my final crit today and presented my website and design boards. Here are my design boards:










We had to ask questions that we wanted feedback on, and mine were:

  • Is the website easy to use?
  • Does the site/content make you want to go?
  • Is there anything else you would expect/want on this website?
I also added that:
  • More pictures will be added/updated
  • Arrows need to be added on the Resort, Things to Do and Igloos page
  • There is a link to the original website on the other tab
I was actually really happy with the feedback that I got. Here it is:
  • Massive improvement from the original, much more welcoming, easy to use, clear well designed.
  • The website is clear, easy to use. Only thing, when your on the Things To Do page, it's not obvious that you have to scroll down. (sorry, just seen that you need to add arrows). Apart from the fact theres no pictures I'd definitely like to go.
  • The black and white logo give it a very corporate feel. Maybe try a baby blue, or white?
  • You have gone beyond the requirements for this brief well done! Easy to use and makes me want to go. I don't understand the forecast? Why is the '6' in bold?
  • Yeah very easy to navigate. Yeah the website makes the place look appealing. Not sure why The Resort and Igloos page have the same background, a little confusing. Other than that is really good and easy to navigate.
  • I like the layout/tool bars and existing images. The colour scheme really suits the ethos of the resort. Maybe horizontally flip the santa image so he isn't hidden behind the text box! All in all, very good and you seem to know what needs to be improved anyway, keep it up! It is easy to use. Maybe had more images of the resort. I think people would be more intrigued to go if there was more images of each place (igloos/resort) maybe like a 'we are here' type of thing as people know of Lapland but not really where that is. If you are going to invest and book a holiday you want a lot of visuals (almost as a reassurance) (room images?) I know that you have started this. I know coding is annoying but if you do have more images could the background picture scroll or change after a few seconds?
  • In regards to content, I like the images used as it puts the Igloo Village in a good light making you want to go but the placement of the text takes away from this effect as it covers the images which sell the destination themselves. Could you layout/present the text in a way so it doesn't overlap the images? The usability of the navigation bar and buttons is clear and easy yet I couldn't tell that you needed to scroll the pages until I need your points - could you make it more obvious? The inclusion of a Things To Do page is great so you've already included what I would want in the page.
  • Boards - TL;DR less text. The grid is a good strong boards grid. When creating final boards, avoid use of first person as it can lead you into storytelling. A board showing typeface and colour ways (even if it just black and white) would be helpful, especially given the rebranding. Showing website in context (on a computer, tablet) is more aesthetically pleasing. If you were creating for a client, you'd want to avoid the phrase I Wanted. Client will be interested in what works and why, not wants of the designer. Good board aesthetics overall - just reduce text. Good use of product branding on boards to tie it all in.
I was really happy with my feedback, and I know that the scrolling isn't obvious at first glance but if everyone read my note (some people did) they would know I'm going to add arrows to it. So at least I know that what I plan to do is needed.
Someone said the black and white gives it a corporate feel - I kind of wanted to go with that so that it looks professional. The original website is baby blue and white (which they suggested) and looks quite cheap and untrustworthy in my opinion.
Someone suggested flipping the santa image which were in my thoughts too so I'm glad they agree. I do really agree with the same person who said people like visuals to reassure themselves about going, and I do intend to add a room image of the glass igloo - unfortunately there isn't a lot of good images to choose from.
I was really glad that people said it was easy to navigate through and use because this is a main part of the website.

No comments:

Post a Comment