Anything from the inception of this blog is copyright to Danielle Harrison ©

Friday 20 December 2013

OUGD504 - Design for Print and Web: Design Decisions

After doing some research and sketching I started to make some design decisions.

Sketches





Printed Material

I have thought of the material that I want to produce and this is shown in the sketches. It includes:


  • Menus
  • Coasters
  • Placemat
  • Bookmark which are business cards
  • Notepad
  • Napkins
  • Pencil
  • Coffee Duster
  • Tshirt?
Digitally Propose
I would also propose some of the branding digitally through:
  • Umbrellas
  • Signage
  • Cups
  • Plates
  • Tshirt?
Screen based
For the screen based media I want to design a website for the library cafe. I don't think it is appropriate to design an app because there would only be one cafe and it isn't a chain.

Stock

I'm going to use three types of stock:

Buckram

I want to use black buckram for a few of the products which are:


  • Back of menus
  • Back of placemats
  • Back of notepad
  • Coasters
Red Endpage
I want to use red 160gsm card to stick over the buckram which will act as an endpage for the:
  • Menus
  • Placemats
  • Coaster
  • Notepad
  • Bookmark?
White Card
This is for the menu and notepad which will use the same stock. Relatively cheap/thin as it will be replaced and changed frequently and needs to match this. I might also use this for the bookmark.

Other Stock
As I want to create a variety of things I will use other stock such as:
  • Perspex - for the coffee duster
  • Napkins
  • Pencil
  • Tshirt
  • Wooden stand for the menu (found jenga blocks make a good substitute)

Fonts

I will use one serif throughout the branding in two font-weight and point sizes. The bold will be used for the headings, while the regular will be used for bodycopy. I chose this serif for the headings and bodycopy because it is traditional but I also think it is quite classy and clean. 

Serif - Adobe Garamond Pro


Colour
I will use two colours throughout the branding plus stock.

Black - This will be in the form of buckram, and bodycopy. I will also use black bands for the menu, placemat and notepad. I will also use black tshirt and pencil.


Red - This will be used for the logo and will be digitally as well as screenprinted. The endpage will also be red.


White Stock - I want to use white stock for the actual menu and notepad.


I have chosen black and white because they are the colours you find in books and therefore match the concept of the cafe, as well being the most legible pairing of colours they will also let an accent colour stand out against them. I chose a deep red because it is warm and inviting and will stand out against the monochrome. I want customers to feel relaxed and welcomed because it is a place they can enjoy a book or concentrate on study. This is why I chose a darker red because anything too bright would be distracting and loud.


Logo

The logo can only be used in red. 

The full logo must be used on signage and things that can be seen outside the restaurant (bookmarks, umbrellas, website and uniform)

The motif G can be used on its own on all material inside the restaurant that doesn't need to be labelled (coaster, placemat, stencil, pencil, cups, plates and napkins)
The motif G and another word can be used underneath it when things need to be labelled (notepad, food and drinks menu)

No comments:

Post a Comment