Anything from the inception of this blog is copyright to Danielle Harrison ©

Saturday 21 December 2013

OUGD504 - Design for Print and Web: Logo Design Development

I have started designing for the Print material, and here is my development.

I sketched some G's for my logo, and although drawing/making display typography isn't my strong point I wanted to give it a go anyway.


I looked through a few serif fonts and decided Garamond and Didot were good fonts to edit because they are traditional, professional and attractive. I started looking at Didot, and I added another outline to it to make it stand out.


I then looked at Garamond and changed it to red, as that's the colour theme of my brand. I created two semi circles and placed them over the serif to change the shape of it.


I then made it curve into the bar so that it looked more natural.


I made the shape on the other side as well to create one of my sketches.


I tidied it up a bit. It wouldn't work though because I am only using one colour and as one colour it all merges together.


I tried the serif onto the Didot G, but felt it was too chunky.


Here is what the serif looks like now its joined up to the rest of the G.


Here is what it looks like now with the Garamond G, now I've gotten rid of the left shape.


Here is the outline of the G:


I then decided to change the upper serif so that it matched the lower one.


Then I made 


I adde a box around it to make it a contained drop cap, and added a shape on the left side.


I then started to fill in the white gaps to add more interest.


However, it started to look a bit much and I wasn't sure how to add a fill to the top right corner without covering the whole bowl.


I then started to make some outlines, and used the width tool to make them more animated.


Here is what it looked like with more outlines:


I then added the shape to the left side.


I improved the shape of it:


Then I added some lines it in like one of the sketches I did. This is to reflect the lines in books.


I tried them on an angle, but I didn't like this because it doesn't match the rest of the letter which is straight.


I then tried making the outline work differently by either adding stroke lines, drawing lines or adding drop shadows.




The drop shadow tactic worked the best:


I then added the left shape again:


And I added a container with rounded edges so that it would match the rest of the brand but I thought it looked quite tacky.


Then I added the serif pattern to the white shape to see what that looked like, but I think it looks a bit too full on.


Then I added the lines again, but altered them a lot with the width tool to make them look better than before.


I then started to add some 'swirls' around, but 1. I'm not very good at it and 2. I realised I didn't want it to be too fancy if I want it to work well as a word.



I tried a couple of patterns but I didn't really like anyway, I think this is because the letter is quite thick so patterns looked dwarfed in it so I then went to redo the G.


I started to redo the G, and kept the original thinness to see if it looked any better.


I then made it slightly thicker.


I then realised I preferred it thicker as it stood out a lot more.


I did a couple of variations with the pattern.


I tried seeing which one looked best with wording underneath it. In the end I decided to go with the right logo because I think the left one looks a bit awkward with the extra lines inside the letter.


This is what the logo looked like when I put it together, but it didn't quite look right:


I then tried making the rest of the text bold, which I think looked better but I still wasn't happy with it.


After some feedback, someone said the G looks better by itself rather than in a word. So I decided to use the G on its own - with wording underneath it instead. Here is the final logo:


Here are variations of the logo with wording, it will also be used without wording at all.






No comments:

Post a Comment