Anything from the inception of this blog is copyright to Danielle Harrison ©

Tuesday 18 December 2012

OUGD405 - Typogateaux

Here is the process of making my cake.


Here are most of the ingredients that I needed for the cake. 



I put all of the oreos in a bag and crushed them. I had to double bag it, because the first bag split. I then poured them equally into cupcake cases.


I started measuring out all of the ingredients on the scales.


I mixed together the flour, cocoa powder, salt and baking powder. In a separate bowl I mixed sugar and butter together til it became fluffy and combined, and added an egg and vanilla extract. Then I bought them both together, whisking until it came cake batter.


I then poured the mixture equally on top of the crushed oreos in the cupcake cases.


Then I cooked them for 18 minutes on 180 degrees in my oven. Me and my flatmates tested one and liked it.



Following the instructions for the chocolate fudge cake, I greased the tin.



I followed all of the instructions to make the chocolate fudge cake, however the two cakes are supposed to be on top of each other with the fudge filling between them. But then I thought it didn't look big enough, because I had to fit the outline of the world on top, and the cupcakes. Therefore I put them side by side instead, for a thinner but wider cake. I put them on the biggest baking tray I could find for presenting, but it still wasn't big enough so I had to slice a little bit off one side.
When I looked at the size of the cakes, and the cupcakes, I realised that the cupcakes would be too big and heavy to put on wire in the cake, because the cake is quite thin. So at this point I thought it would be a better idea just to put the cupcakes on top of each country.


To make the frosting I mixed butter, vanilla extract and sugar together with a spoon which took a while to get the right consistency. I then started adding crushed oreo into it to create a speckled effect.


I had to add a loooooooot of food colouring to get the desired effect, but I was happy with this blue for the sea.


I started spreading the frosting on top of the cake, creating a wave effect as I did it.


I was going to create the frosting again but with green food colouring for the land, but then decided it would be more definable and recognisable if I cut it out of ready to roll icing. However, I only had white icing, so I broke up some small chunks of it and dropped a few drops of food colouring in and put it in the microwave for 20 seconds. When it came out i mixed it together so it changed the colouring to green. I then waited a while for it to cool down and harden, so that I could roll it out. Once I did that I used the image of the world map to see what shapes and size I should be cutting the icing out, which I did with a scalpel.
I also thought now that the world is on, the cupcakes would cover up a lot of the design because they are so big compared to the cake. This made me think that I should put all of the cupcakes at the bottom with the letter on, and join them up somehow to each country.


I made some icing and dripped it on the top of the cupcakes, which I had also cut into a square. This was so that the letters would stand out better on them, and cover up the sponge. By putting white icing on top of them, I could use some of the green fondant icing I made for the letters.


I started cutting out the letters to go on top of the cake, which took longer than I thought to get them to look right! Here is Courier and Bodoni.


To join up the letters to the countries they originated from, I brought some strawberry laces so that it was still edible. Overall,  it definitely isn't what I envisioned it would look like, but my flatmates asked me to bake another batch of cupcakes at midnight so it couldn't have tasted that bad!


No comments:

Post a Comment