Anything from the inception of this blog is copyright to Danielle Harrison ©

Thursday 6 December 2012

OUGD405 - Get More People To Read

Today we showed each other what we have all produced, and were really happy with everything. We then decided that we would need a bookmark stand, for the bookmarks that Daisy designed. So me, Emily and Kirsty started working on different nets and designs to see what worked best.

Emily and Kirsty wanted to use the actual animals as the outline for the stand, but I wanted to incorporate the animals on a more traditional net. I designed and created a little mock up for the net that I wanted to use:


Then I went onto Illustrator to start working out the exact measurements of the stand. As I didn't know the exact measurements of Daisy's bookmarks, I googled the standard bookmark measurements, as I needed this to make sure the stand would fit the bookmarks:



I decided to do the width of the stand three times the width of a bookmark which is 153mm, as this would allow quite a lot to be held within. I wanted to make the base thin enough to fit the bookmarks in upright, but thick enough so that it would stand on its own. I decided to start with 2cm to see how that worked, and made the tabs either side the same width. For the height I decided it should be 50% more the height of the standard bookmark size, so it didn't go over the top of the design, and you would be able to see some of the character's heads. This is the net:



They would have to be double-sided, so I need to do two designs. For the design I decided to incorporate a bit of what everyone had done. As Daisy's bookmarks had the outline of the character head cut out at the top, I decided I would do that as well. I got the exact colour that Melissa had used on her star chart (4DAC47), to keep the same style in the background. I also used the typeface that Emily created for the project on the stand, to let children know that they can take a bookmark. I then looked at the murals that Emily created to capture the same layout that she used with the text in my own, and use the same colours that she used for the type.

Here is the design that I came up with:


Above the hippo, I would cut out the white space so that the stand is more fun, and fits in with the bookmarks. To print it out there were specific printing settings that I needed to change and some of them were:


I needed to make sure that the Printer Feed was Bypass so that I could put a thicker paper in to see how sturdy it would be, that it was short-edge binding because it was landscape, that the size was A3 and that two-sided was checked.

Here is the printed out mock up, and there a few things that I need to change:


After I printed it, Daisy was back so I could see the measurements of her bookmark, and they are a lot bigger than the bookmark stand, because they have information on the back of them. However, she is going to change the concept of them and make them smaller so that they will fit in the stand, and if they still don't fit I am going to alter the size of the stand. I also printed the text backwards, and upside down so I need to make that right. I am also going to make the base bigger so that there is a larger surface area  so it will stand on its own, and create tabs so that the sides will stick to the front and the back.

No comments:

Post a Comment