Anything from the inception of this blog is copyright to Danielle Harrison ©

Thursday 20 December 2012

OUGD404 - The Birth of a Font

We had to choose a roman, gothic, script and block font, and dissect them to make possible other letterforms. Here is my documentation of each uppercase and lowercase letter:














Now I am going to pick the five letterforms which I think are the most successful, and they are: 








I now need to create an uppercase A, B, C, X, Y and Z, and a lowercase a, b, c, x, y and z for each of the letters. To do this I am going to use the same fonts and mix them up on Illustrator, then trace and hand render them.




Vincent - I mixed Tondu and Onyx to make this font, and I did this by Creating Outlines on the letters, then deleting anchor points on certain parts of the letters to mix them with the others and make a new one. This is my favourite font because of the juxtaposing weight of the lines. 

Draper - I mixed Onyx and Raavi together for this one, and I think the different weights work well together. 
Simpson - I mixed Onyx and Palace for this font to make a script typeface, but I don't think it works that well, because the ABC look quite compact compared to the XYZ which look too wide in comparison. 

Vines - I mixed Tondu and Raavi together to make this font, but I don't think the thin serifs work well with the thick strokes, it looks to clumpy. It doesn't look in proportion. 

This was a mixture of Tondu, Raavi and Onyx, but I think I used too many fonts to make a new one here, as it looks too out of proportion and unreadable. It doesn't flow well and the characters don't look consistent next to each other. 

Davey - So I started to make another font, just using Raavi and Tondu, and some of the letters work well, but I'm not too keen on either of the C's and the lowercase A. I think this is because they don't look natural, and the shapes don't connect well with each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment