Anything from the inception of this blog is copyright to Danielle Harrison ©

Friday 22 March 2013

OUGD404 - 10 Things You Should Know About Graphic Design

As my publication was ready to print, I asked Mike to help me with arranging it ready for print. He told me to make a mock up of the book, so I knew where each page would go. I didn't realise at the time, but this was so beneficial when arranging the pages in InDesign and when printed.




As I had two fold out pages with three extra pages to a double page spread, I had to add three extra pages on the document for the back of them. I worked this out by referring to the mock up that I made. I had to put the five page spreads into a separate InDesign document, along with the pages where I added an extra three blank pages. 
The time consuming part was then making a new InDesign document, and arranging all the double page spreads to exactly how my mock up was. For example, in the picture above, semiotics and physical mixing are on the same page for when they are printed, so I had to arrange them on InDesign like this, even though they are not supposed to be next to each other. Usually InDesign does this for you when you print, but as I had the fold out pages I had to do it manually.

When it was finally ready, I had to change the printer settings. I added crop marks as this would help me a lot when cropping after printing. On Pages, I clicked 'Spreads, and on Options, I clicked 'Centered', as it would be printed double sided. I also saved it as a Post Script file, as this made it ready to print the next day in the correct order.

Today I printed the booklet on off-white sugar paper. I wanted it on this stock because it has a textured feel, making the book nice to hold and read, and it has a authentic feel to it. I wasn't sure if the colour would take to it, as with antique white paper it goes blotchy and I wondered if the same would happen. Luckily, it didn't, in fact the colour is vibrant and stands out against the stock which is good. I am really happy with how it has turned out. To put all the pages in the right order, I referred back to my mock up.

















No comments:

Post a Comment