Anything from the inception of this blog is copyright to Danielle Harrison ©

Thursday 21 February 2013

OUGD406 - InDesign Workshop

We have a brief to create a double page spread for an animal, mine is an elephant seal, on InDesign. My research which is to be featured on the spread can be found here.

Here are the settings I chose for the new document:



However, the pages don't sit next to each other as a spread, as they are facing pages and it creates a first page.


So to solve this problem, I have to add another page. I just clicked new page, and it creates an identical one.


We looked at how we would print it, and changed the settings.

In setup, I changed:
Orientation: landscape
Page Position: centered
Paper size: A3

In General, I changed:
Page: spread
Printer: 203 Colour
Made sure 'Print blank page' wasn't checked
Page: Range: 2-3

In Bleed, I changed:
Bleed and Slug: Tick 'Use Document Bleed Settings'
Marks: Tick 'Crop Marks'

Another way of opening the document is to repeat the steps beforehand, but unpress 'facing pages'. This creates two singular pages.

To make them a double page spread, I need to uncheck 'Allow Document Pages to Shuffle'. As this allows me to move the page next to each other by dragging it, rather than above/below each other.



This also allows me to add more than two pages to each other, to create a more complex layout with foldouts, for example:


To add a ruler guide which features across the spread, you have to add the guide while on the artboard. If you just add a ruler guide on the left page, it will only appear on the left page, and the same applies if you add one to the right.


A more precise way of adding guides is to highlight the pages, click on Layout then Create Guides.


We then started looking for pictures to put on our double page spread. I found a high res picture, and uploaded it onto Photoshop.


We then had to resize it ready to go into InDesign. I changed the resolution to 300ppi, as that means it is ready for print, and unchecked resample image. 


Then I placed it into InDesign. I resized it again to what I want and checked in the links palette what scale I had enlarged it to.


Then I opened it on Photoshop through InDesign, so that I could resize it to the same scale: 121.5%


I then changed the image size on Photoshop to match it in InDesign.


No comments:

Post a Comment