Anything from the inception of this blog is copyright to Danielle Harrison ©

Monday 19 November 2012

OUGD404 - Typeface Family

Looking at the five fonts we brought in a couple of weeks ago, we have to find the whole typeface for each font, and experiment with different point sizes, finding the most readable point size and font from each typeface.

Bauhaus 
Bauhaus 93 only has one font in its family, which is Regular. However, there is a very similar font called ITC Bauhaus which has light, medium, demi, heavy and bold.

Here is Bauhaus 93 in point sizes 12, 32 and 72.

After looking at the different point sizes, I think it works best in 65pt as when it is too small it is illegible, but when it is too big it looks too cluttered, as even though it is in regular it looks very bold.









Courier

Courier had four different fonts in its typeface: Medium, Oblique, Bold and Bold Oblique. These are the fonts in that order, and in point size order of 12, 32 and 72.






I think it is most readable in 16pt, as it is a bodycopy text, therefore designed to be read smaller, but I think this is clearer than when it is in 12pt.


Georgia
Georgia also has four fonts in the full typeface: Regular; Italic; Bold and Bold Italic. Here are the four fonts in that order, and in order of point size 12, 32 and 72, with what I think is the most readable about the bottom.








I think that this is a very readable font in all of the point sizes, and the font I am using right now is Georgia, but I decided that it is most readable in Bold 24pt, because it stands out a lot more than Regular.

Lucida Handwriting
This typeface only includes one font, which is Lucida Handwriting Italic. I think it works well in Italic because it gives the impression of real handwriting.

 Here is the full typeface in 12pt, 32pt and 72pt.
I think it is most readable in 26pt because when it is 12pt it is incredibly small making it illegible, but when it is larger than 32pt it looks incredibly messy and chaotic because of the carefree appearance of the strokes.





Edwardian Script
There are four fonts in the Edwardian typeface: Regular; Bold; Italic and Bold Italic. Here are pictures of them in that order, in the point sizes 12, 32 and 72.




 


In all of these fonts, when they are in the smallest point size, none of them are legible, which is why I think the most readable font and point size for this typeface is Regular 59pt. I think it works best Regular because it is a delicate typeface, and I don't think it works as well in bold because it looks to chunky.



The second task was to find four more fonts, one Gothic, one Roman, one Block and one Script. We need to print the first three letters of the alphabet in upper and lowercase in 10x10cm dimensions.

 For the Roman font I chose Onyx.











For the Gothic font I chose Raavi. 




For the Script font I chose Palace Script MT.








For the Block font I chose Tondu Beta.







No comments:

Post a Comment