Anything from the inception of this blog is copyright to Danielle Harrison ©

Wednesday 21 November 2012

OUGD403 - Illustrator Typeface

I had to create a full typeface based on one of the letterforms I produced for the Alphabet Soup: Visual Thinking task, and I chose the letterform Y that I created. I decided this would be the best letter to use because it was my favourite, and I think that out of all them, it would be the most useable and readable. 

Here is the Y that I made:




Although this image shows four Y's, the final piece was layered, so that when you lifted up the top Y, the one underneath it would be dissected as its serif and stroke weight were removed.

And here are the sketches for my typeface:


 I found it really easy to design this typeface, and I actually sketched all of it while creating the 10 letterforms we had to do for the previous task, because I liked the Y so much. Once I sketched these, I scanned them in and put them onto Illustrator. I usually trace whatever I scan in when I get onto Illustrator, but I didn't have to with these because they are quite simple letters, so I just looked at them for reference.






There were only a couple of difficulties I faced, when I first started the alphabet I did the Z first. However, I couldn't decide what weight to use for the thickest stroke as the Z, because I thought the thicker stroke worked better, but it wasn't the same one I used for the Y. In the end I decided to maake it the same weight, and for all the letters, so that it is consistent.


Here is my final typeface design. I think it is consistent, but I'm not entirely happy with it. I think it would look better if I added some more weight to the serifs where the stem is thicker, but my original Y wasn't like that, so I didn't add any.

No comments:

Post a Comment