Anything from the inception of this blog is copyright to Danielle Harrison ©

Wednesday 23 January 2013

OUGD405: Research, Collect, Communicate: Product

As I had finished the design of my publication, I now had to print and bind it. As I had done the design on InDesign, it was really simple to set it up for print, just a few settings needed changing. 

As I was printing a booklet, I chose Print Booklet under the File tab, and because I wanted the pages to fold left to right, I chose short-edge binding. I was also using my own stock, Antique White paper, to give an authentic feel so I had to change the Paper Feed to Bypass Tray. The Booklet Type was 2-up Saddle Stitch and I checked the box to Print Blank Pages, as I had one at the end. I also wanted it printing on A3 because even though the individual pages were A5, the double page spread would be A4, and I needed space for bleeding. I also added crop marks so that when I was cutting them down I would know where to cut. 
Then I sent it to print, and when it came out it had a blue line on all of the sheets which ruined it a bit, but it isn't that noticeable. 



As it was printed on A3, I had to crop it down quite a lot as it looked like this.



I got a metal ruler, cutting board and scalpel to cut the pages, but the paper was thicker than I thought, and I had to go over a couple of times with the scalpel before it went all the way through. The first page I did had a few rough bits because of this, but i cut them away and pressed harder with the other pages so that it didn't happen again.




I scored down the middle very lightly with the scalpel so that they would fold easily. When I cut them all out, I folded them and put them in the right order. I also marked three dots on the spine where I am going to bind them.



To bind them, I went to the wood workshop to drill a hole in the three places were I marked the spine. Then I got a needle and thread, and Simon showed me how to stitch it together, which was actually really simple. 

No comments:

Post a Comment